Montrose Fire Training Centre
A world leader for more than 30 years
When Montrose Fire Training Centre first opened its doors in 1978, the facility was a world first for the offshore industry. Originally conceived by the major oil and gas companies, the centre was initially managed by the Petroleum Industry Training Board (PITB). Today it remains one of the most advanced oil and gas fire training centres in the world.
Unique to the Montrose centre is its capacity to simulate emergency response activity. Eight specially designed modules closely replicate the systems and equipment found on onshore facilities and offshore installations.
Our industry experts can provide realistic link ups between our major emergency management simulators and fire and gas simulation, including night-time fire fighting. This joined-up approach to training lets delegates experience real-time response decision-making, communication and teamwork.
Fire training facilities
- Three-storey training module – principally for simulating offshore and onshore gas and hydrocarbon fire fighting techniques
- Two-storey training module boasting a full-size helideck – for simulating a heavy landing, low impact crash scenario or full scale fire
- Two-storey simulation production and process module, which simulates fires from wellheads, flanges, ruptured pipework and vessels – to provide experience of gas and hydrocarbon pressure fires and hydrocarbon spills
- Accommodation block – to practise search and rescue operations in smoke-filled compartments and essential breathing apparatus training
- Helicopter – for helicopter landing officer training, helideck assistant training and helicopter refuelling
- 2 OPITO accredited major emergency management simulators
- A 1km, 10-inch diameter, 150-class pipeline training, testing and research facility – this piece of equipment was the first of its kind available for training in the UK
- 2 wells – for use in a variety of well testing and wire line courses
- 24 classrooms
The courses delivered in Montrose apply to both offshore and onshore oil and gas environments. Training is also relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and the armed forces.
All courses are delivered to industry accreditation standards, including those set by the Offshore Petroleum Industry Training Organisation (OPITO) and the Joint Oil and Industry Fire Forum (JOIFF).
Our courses include:
- Offshore Emergency Response Team Member
- Offshore Emergency Response Team Leader
- Further Offshore Emergency Response Team Member / Leader (incorporating night-time fire fighting)
- Offshore Emergency Helideck Team Member / Leader
- Offshore Emergency Response Combined Helideck & Team Member
- Banksman and Slinging Operations
- Greenhand Training
- Fabrication and Welding
Our major emergency management simulators are both accredited to undertake OPITO approved Offshore Installation Manager, Control Room Operator and Major Emergency Management Initial Response training.
We can design and deliver bespoke training programmes to answer our clients’ specific needs. We’re also able to support corporate fire safety plans by providing fire safety audits and risk assessment.