To provide authentic training in a risk-free environment, Petrofac Training Services invests heavily in training simulators. Our innovative team of experts design and build the equipment – commonly known as skids – on which our delegates can practise a range of skills.
It’s all part of our blended approach to learning. First we take our delegates through the theory behind the training, then we let them learn new skills on a safe version of the appropriate equipment. Using training simulators gives delegates confidence and their companies reassurance. Enabling delegates to gain experience on skids lets them demonstrate competence fully before going to work on a live asset.
Our skids are used in a variety of locations: at our own training centres, at the client facilities that we manage, and even alongside clients’ assets.
Skids can be divided into two types. We use both to let delegates practise different techniques and procedures. All training is based on scenarios that delegates may come across when working on live assets. Using skids, even emergency situations can be experienced in complete safety by our delegates.
- are fully functional, with real life, state-of-the-art control systems
- feature the latest technologies
- are accompanied by a scaled-down, fully functional process plant and a distributed control system (DCS) control room
- can be customised by our in-house engineering design team to suit a client’s specific needs – size, process and selection of control / instrumentation systems or technology may all be modified
- are used mainly to perform safe system of work practices, such as Permit to Work procedures, energy isolation and de-isolation
- help to strongly embed behavioural safety training
- typically feature a small process selection comprising a collection / storage vessel, pumping / boosting station and a flow controlled line to outlet tie-in point, as well as areas of different pressure ratings and types of isolations