Meeting local demand for skilled personnel
The growing oil and gas industry on Sakhalin Island, Russia means that competent local personnel are in high demand. Petrofac Training Services has been active in the area for a number of years, and in 2008 we opened the Sakhalin Technical Training Centre (STTC) to further our work.
Between 2006 and 2009, we were heavily involved in workforce development for Sakhalin Energy Investment Company (SEIC), in which Shell is a shareholder. During this period we trained 250 SEIC technicians working across four disciplines.
We devised the SEIC competency assurance programme to deliver six months’ instruction in the English language followed by 12 months’ technical training. Technical training covered the essential aspects of four key SEIC assets: liquefied natural gas, offshore, pipelines and onshore production facility.
Our SEIC competency assurance programme encompassed:
- Four disciplines (mechanical, electrical, process and instrumentation) for four assets (LNG, offshore, pipelines, OPF)
- Job profiles identifying the competencies required for each discipline and asset
- Five levels of training – Apprentice, Junior Technician, Technician, Senior Technician, Lead Technician, Supervisor
- Russian Federation of Mandatory and Vocational Training requirements
- External international certification by City & Guilds
Our delivery and implementation of the tailored programme – latterly through STTC – has been integral to SEIC acquiring a competent local workforce.
Let Petrofac Training Services deliver high quality technical training to locally recruited people.