Commitment to developing local skills
As part of Petrofac’s commitment to the development of local skills within the oil and gas industry in Algeria, we designed and built a Construction Skills Training Center (Petrofac Training Centre) in Hassi Massoud, Algeria with a capacity to train up to 400 delegates annually.
We designed the training centre in 2009, while Petrofac Group’s engineering and construction team built the Training Centre in 2010-2011.
The curriculum on offer is primarily skills based, with a strong emphasis on health and safety, covering five specialist trade areas: instrumentation, electrical, mechanical, pipe fabrication and welding.
All supporting manuals, training documents, handouts and presentation materials were designed in-house for this training programme, in English, and then translated to French. All training delivery is carried out in French.
The courses on offer cover the following:
- Instrumentation: delegates are taught installation and commissioning techniques on pressure, temperature, level and flow instruments
- Electrical: training is delivered in installation and wiring techniques, motor control and electrical measurements for single and three phase systems
- Mechanical: delegates learn how to install and align various types of mechanical equipment, including pumps, valves, bearings and mechanical seals
- Pipe fabrication: training covers the development, fabrication and installation of pipe spools and fittings. Fabrication of ‘special’ fittings is also undertaken
- Welding: taught on plate and pipe to American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) standards, using fillet and butt welds in all positions. Techniques include shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) and manual metal arc (mma) processes
By the end of 2011, over 275 trainees had undergone 12 weeks of intensive training.